Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Walking in Baguio: South Drive to SM

I've long wanted to take a stroll along South Drive--not too many vehicles pass along that road (during off-peak season, that is) and there aren't that many establishments, either.

I actually started my walk at around 9:48 a.m. from Mines View Park going down Outlook Drive but I forgot to turn on my tracking app (I use MapMyWalk). I waited until I was in front of The Mansion to start tracking.

Route: Mines View Park - Outlook Drive - Romulo Drive - Pacdal Circle - Park Road - right to South Drive - Upper Session Road - SM Baguio

Going to SM via jeepney from my starting point usually takes around 20 minutes (with traffic) via Leonard Wood Road. Fare is Php 10. Via taxi, fare is usually around Php 75.

Weather: Overcast, with the sun peeking at times.


 Wright Park/The Mansion to SM Baguio route
Wright Park/The Mansion to SM via South Drive
Click to see the details of my walk!

Since I started out kinda late, I didn't think I would still see joggers, but there they were running uphill (you guys rock!). Strolling along South Drive was really nice, and generally safe in daytime except for the few spots--just a couple of meters--where there was no sidewalk to speak of. 

I initially planned to head over to the Baguio Museum for a look-see. I confess I haven't been there at all (perhaps when I was younger? Will have to ask my parents, haha). Shame I've been living in Baguio a year but yeah, there are still plenty of places I haven't visited.

Aside from an umbrella, I brought along a light jacket (just in case, because when you're in Baguio in July the weather can change dramatically over the course of an hour), my on-the-go sketching kit (for drawing museum stuff and whatnot), and a few other essentials (money, wet wipes). I didn't bring water because I didn't think I'd be thirsty and I was going to town anyway.

South Drive, Baguio City
South Drive, near the Lutheran Theological Seminary

When I got to Upper Session Road, I started to feel hungry. I had a light breakfast of oats, but I guess it all got burned up pretty quickly. I checked my watch--almost 11. Hmm. How about having lunch first before heading to the museum? So I stopped my tracker and headed to the mall. :P

So I had lunch (Japanese), bought a magazine from Booksale (Monocle), checked out some Sandugo trail shoes (I'm eyeing the Mudtrax), paid my rent, bought the week's Baguio Chronicle, and walked along Session Road to the jeepney terminal for a ride home.

I saved the museum trip for another day. Heading there on foot will be another reason to walk along South Drive, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment