Pages

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Walking in Quezon City: La Mesa Ecopark

La Mesa Ecopark

When I went home to Quezon City a few days ago, I took the opportunity to visit one of my favorite haunts, the La Mesa Ecopark in Fairview. I'm lucky to live near the park, a 15-minute (leisurely) walk from my house. When I'm there it doesn't feel like I'm in the city at all!

Entrance to the park is free for both folks on foot and bikers before the park starts its operations at 8 in the morning. It's an awesome place to spend the early morning in. I enjoyed my walk immensely -- that is, until I had to leave and walk along the main road (Commonwealth Avenue) again. :P

Weather: Bright and sunny! I had a slight tan when I got home (I have a bad habit of not putting sunscreen. I rarely put anything on my skin when I go out for walks, because I'd feel sticky-sweaty after a few minutes plus I don't want to attract insects.). Also, I love the early morning sun. :)

I went off-road for this one!See the details of my walk here.
I started tracking my "journey" (using MapMyWalk) from Mercury Drug (across Puregold North Commonwealth). There's an alley a few steps away that takes you into East Fairview. I took the Dunhill Street route and soon enough, I found myself at the entrance to the park. (I also used to walk along all of the streets in that area - it's a really nice village!)




La Mesa Ecopark
If you're wanting a good cardio/leg day workout, take the steps up the flower terraces. Once you arrive at the top, refrain from taking photos of the reservoir (it's not allowed). You can look all you want, of course! Then, turn around for this view:
La Mesa Ecopark
Go back down, and climb up again if you want ;)

La Mesa Ecopark
The picturesque lagoon

The park also has a nature/fitness trail that lets you leave the pavement for a while and walk underneath the trees. The paths crisscross at some points, and if you don't pay attention to where you're going, you might find yourself walking in circles :P

One of the paths in the nature trail.
The nature trail is a great place for those who are only just starting with trail running, especially if they don't mind literally running around in circles! :)


La Mesa Ecopark
The view along one of the paths
La Mesa Ecopark
La Mesa Ecopark
The amphitheater, viewed from the nature trail's trailhead.
resident kitty
*wonders about the myth/creation story here* 

Before 8 a.m. I left the park and walked to where Commonwealth intersected with Regalado Avenue. I'd seen a shop there that sells toys, and I checked it out and bought some plastic balls for our dogs before heading home. Took a jeepney ride because the heat had started to irritate me and I've begun to feel tired (or hungry, or both). All in all it was a nice walk, one I would do again (mental note: start earlier when it's cooler).

No comments:

Post a Comment